Friday, October 4, 2013

What she says and what she means

Speech is an area where Reagan is still significantly delayed.  Not as much as she was six months ago when she only said a half-dozen words, but still quite delayed.  We have learned quickly that this does not equate with her comprehension or desire to communicate being delayed.  She imitates really well and loves to use sign too so her vocabulary is growing daily and this results in some rather hilarious exchanges.  When she wants something and doesn't know how to say it she comes to me... "mommy, mommy...dis" and points or pulls me over to show me what she needs.  She loves her books and will sit for very long periods of time "reading" and shoving the book under my nose to show me..."mommy, goggie", or "mommy, bird"  or "mommy, dis, dis, dis".
 She says things to intentionally make us laugh...in the pool a couple of weeks ago it was "mommy, mommy, mommy", what baby...with very deliberate sign coordination, "mommy...want...more..cookie!".  I told her she was a silly girl so she did it over and over and over again cracking up each time to get us all to laugh at her.  Yeah, she gets it.  While finishing up a ride on her "orse" the other day she wanted to continue so she, again combining garbled word with very deliberate signs, said "more...ride".
The thing is she doesn't know the sign for ride....so she made one up.  Somehow I don't think this delay is going to last.  In the meantime the constant refrain of "mommy, mommy, mommy" trailing me around the house is music to my ears even while it drives me batty after a while.  After all I waited for 2 1/2 years to hear her say mommy...I can't really complain about a little overuse after all that hard work right?

No comments: